The Woodrow

RamTV and The Woodrow to Merge Under a New Banner

Maddie Todhunter

RamTV, Wilson High School’s YouTube channel, went on air in February of 2009. The Woodrow newspaper followed by going online in October of 2014. RamTV News and The Woodrow worked hand-in-hand providing school news and information, covering many school events and sports activities, and community news and activities in video and print formats.  RamTV also provides student-produced entertainment, such as music videos, short films, commercials, and school productions. Both venues have been quite successful among the Wilson High School community, Pierce County and Washington State, while spotlighting Wilson High School and Tacoma globally.

On March 9th, the student leaders of WHS Media Group, which owns and operates RamTV and The Woodrow, decided to merge the two media venues under one umbrella and create a dynamic name that will be shared by the newly combined video channel and online newspaper. There were several reasons for the merger and rebranding.  One was the changing dynamics of media publication and distribution in our society.  Although television broadcasting and printed newspapers were there norm and quite popular, the past ten years has brought about online video streaming and online newspaper websites that include written articles along with video segments and interactive content. These digital innovations have blurred the lines between traditional broadcasting and publishing. Another evolution of media includes ever-growing mobile apps, content, and delivery. In fact, television sales have significantly declined in the past five years as younger generations prefer to view their entertainment and content on their mobile devices, such as smartphones and tablets.

Semariah Williams, President and CEO of WHS Media Group, shared that a naming contest will be held amongst the students and staff of Wilson High School in the coming weeks. The person who provides the chosen name will win an undisclosed prize graciously provided by a local business. More information will soon follow.

The merger of RamTV and The Woodrow under the new brand is expected to take place in mid-April of this school year.