The Woodrow

BOMB CYCLONE HITS THE EAST COAST!

A devastating bomb cyclone brought havoc to the East Coast of the United States, causing poor driving driving conditions, power outages, and flight cancellations.

Brian Snyder (US News)

Brian Snyder (US News)

Maddie Todhunter

After being pounded with severe winter storms during the past two weeks, the Northeastern United States was slammed on Thursday with a massive bombogenesis, also known as a bomb cyclone or weather bomb. A bombogenesis is an area of rapidly declining low pressure that occurs over a period of time. This weather phenomenon causes hurricane-force winter winds and blinding snow. After the bombogenesis has had time to build up, the result is a bomb cyclone. The resulting winter storm blew in with 40-60 mph winds, dumped as much as 12 inches of snow, and caused record coastal flooding, which was intensified by the Supermoon. The record breaking storm started in the Gulf of Mexico earlier this week, first hitting the Florida panhandle and causing unusual cold temperatures and winter weather conditions as far west as Mississippi up north to Wisconsin as the deadly storm buffered up the East Coast.  New England and Boston suffered the most intense parts of the storm.

In the aftermath of the winter storm, temperatures plummeted to frigid levels that could feel as cold as minus 30 degrees with the wind chill being a staggering minus 35 degrees. As of this morning, power was restored to 21,000 homes and businesses out of the 80,000 that lost power on Thursday. At least 21 deaths so far nationwide have occurred as a result of the storm. The death toll may rise as emergency services start searching for people reported missing since the storm.

Severe weather conditions disrupted travel with several major roads being closed due to poor visibility and ice and snow. Airlines cancelled 4,400 flights on Thursday with more cancellations expected throughout the weekend as carriers and airports regroup from the storm. Airlines have advised passengers to check online or call customer service to determine the status of their flights this weekend. People have been encouraged to keep travel to a minimum and shelters are already bursting at the seams as they race to provide safe and warm facilities for the homeless.