The Woodrow

RECENT DEADLY SHOOTINGS SHOCK AMERICA

This memorial honors the victims of the  deadly shooting at the Sutherland Springs First Baptist Church.

This memorial honors the victims of the deadly shooting at the Sutherland Springs First Baptist Church.

Courtesy of The Journal Star

Courtesy of The Journal Star

Maddie Todhunter

On Tuesday, October 31st, eight pedestrians were killed as they were walking along a popular bicycle path by a man who drove his rental car into the crowd. The crime scene is sprawled across ten blocks, right along the West Side Highway, a few blocks away from One World Trade Center in New York City. The mayor of New York City referred to this as a “cowardly act of terror.” Suspect Sayfullo Saipov, who is currently in custody, had left a note stating that he had carried out the attack on behalf of ISIS. Officials have reported that the suspect screamed “Allahu Akbar,” meaning Allah is greater or Allah is the greatest, after the attack. The city of New York has increased security measures and a strong security presence in the area to ensure the safety of the people residing and traveling within this area.

On Wednesday, November 1st, two men and a woman were killed in what was believed to be a random shooting. The shooting took place at a Walmart Supercenter in Thornton Colorado. Suspect Scott Ostrem was taken into custody the following morning. “There’s nothing on motive as of yet” stated Victor Avila, a Thornton Police Spokesperson. Witnesses say Ostrem walked out of the store with the same calm manner in which he entered, as if he were satisfied. Sadly, Scott Ostrem was successful with this tragic event, which closed the popular store for several days.  The Thornton Walmart Supercenter reopened to the public on November 5th.

On Sunday, November 5th, a 26 year old man opened fire at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs. The gunman (Devin Patrick Kelley) targeted in-laws who attended the church. Officials say the gunman had been sending threatening messages to his mother-in-law and one of those texts just happened to be the morning of the shooting. However, his mother in-law was no where to be found in the actual event of the massacre itself. Twenty-six churchgoers, between the ages of 18 months and 77 years of age, were killed when Kelley opened fire. Following the shooting, Kelley successfully left the church, but was then confronted by an armed resident who shot him. He proceeded to make a quick phone call stating to his father that he wasn’t going to make it and then shot himself. Comal County Sheriff Mark Reynolds shared that this is the deadliest mass shooting in history in the State of Texas.

In the wake of the above tragic events, officials in New York City and throughout the United States have indicated that they will be stepping up and enhancing security measures in their communities to keep people safe during this holiday weekend’s many events, such as the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade, NFL football games on Thanksgiving Day, and Black Friday.